John M. Rogers
Bankruptcy and Trustee Attorney
For nearly 40 years, attorney John Rogers has been representing trustees, debtors, and creditors in bankruptcy matters, including proceedings under Chapters 7, 11, and 13.
Much of his current practice is devoted to trustee representation: specifically, in matters involving bringing debtor assets back into the bankruptcy estate, recovering fraudulent transfers, and other aspects relating to the liquidation of assets. His debtor and creditor representation is devoted to furthering and protecting the interests of clients, including their rights to assets.
John also represents clients in pre-bankruptcy stages, including workouts, and in appeals resulting from bankruptcy proceedings. He additionally represents creditors in collection matters.
How I Help
Regardless of whether I and the firm are representing a trustee, a creditor, or a debtor in bankruptcy or workout proceedings, we are mindful that in most cases what our clients particularly want is a swift and cost-effective resolution of their matter. This is especially true when the assets at stake may be quickly losing value.
Our role in these matters is not only to advise clients of their rights, their entitlement to assets, and how the law will treat their positions, but also to develop and explain the possible courses of action that may be available. When a course of action is chosen, we are tenacious in advocating on behalf of our clients, including developing their positions through applying research to their factual positions, as we seek to achieve the best outcome possible.
- Co-Author with Elliott D. Levin of “Dramatic Changes for Consumer and Business Debtors, and for Bankruptcy Attorneys,” addressing changes under the 2005 Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act, appearing in the November, 2005 edition of Res Gestae, the Journal of the Indiana State Bar Association (Vol 49, No. 4).
- Lee v. Walro, 567 B.R. 802 (S.D. Ind. 2017)
- Cmty. First Bank of Ind. v. Galyan (In re Galyan), 2017 Bankr. LEXIS 1024 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. Apr. 13, 2017)
- Walro v. Hatfield, (S.D. Ind. June 27, 2017)
- Levin v. Paige (In re Stein), 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 85346 (S.D. Ind. June 2, 2017)
- Walro v. Lee (In re Lee), 2015 Bankr. LEXIS 1962 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. June 16, 2015)
- Hebenstreit v. Kaur, 2015 U.S. App. LEXIS 18544 (7th Cir. 2015)
- Knauer v. Krantz (In re E. Livestock Co., LLC), 544 B.R. 640 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. 2015)
- Walro v. Lee Grp. Holding Co., LLC (In re Lee), 524 B.R. 798 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. 2014)
- In re Bartlemay, 2013 Bankr. LEXIS 940 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. Mar. 12, 2013)
- Superior Livestock Auction, Inc. v. E. Livestock Co., LLC (In re E. Livestock Co., LLC), 2012 Bankr. LEXIS 1469 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. Apr. 5, 2012)
- In re E. Livestock Co. (Bankr. S.D. Ind. Aug. 31, 2012)
- Friona Indus., LP v. E. Livestock Co., LLC (In re E. Livestock Co., LLC), 2012 Bankr. LEXIS 3630 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. July 27, 2012)
- San Antonio Aerospace, L.P. v. ATA Airlines, Inc. (In re ATA Airlines, Inc.), 2009 Bankr. LEXIS 650 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. Mar. 16, 2009)
- Hammes v. Striebel, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 104246 (S.D. Ind. Dec. 23, 2008)
- In re Frankfort Tower Indus., Inc., 2008 Bankr. LEXIS 3566 (Bankr. S.D. Ind. Dec. 30, 2008)
- Landstar Logistics, Inc. v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Co. (In re Morgan Grp., Inc.), 2005 Bankr. LEXIS 1841 (Bankr. N.D. Ind. Mar. 30, 2005)
- Good v. Bascon, Inc. (In re Heartland Steel, Inc.), No. IP 02-1252-C-M/F, 2003 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11245 (S.D. Ind. June 26, 2003)
- In re Woodbrook Assocs., 19 F.3d 312 (7th Cir. 1994)
- In re Roete, 936 F.2d 963 (7th Cir. 1991)
- Sparmal Enters., Inc. v. Moffit Realty Corp., 126 B.R. 559 (S.D. Ind. 1991)
- Franklin Bank & Tr. Co. v. Mithoefer, 563 N.E.2d 551 (Ind. 1990)
- In re White, 104 B.R. 951 (S.D. Ind. 1989)
- Emp’rs Ins. of Wausau v. Comm’r of Dep’t of Ins., 452 N.E.2d 441 (Ind. Ct. App. 1983)
Without some goal and some efforts to reach it, no man can live.
- J.D., Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana (1979)
- M.A., Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana (1976)
- B.A., Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois (1973)
- Indiana State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association