Reynold “Ren” T. Berry
Indiana Commercial Lawyer
Firm Partner Reynold (“Ren”) Berry began his career at Rubin & Levin in 2004 as a law clerk, and became a partner in 2013. His practice is focused on representing banks, financial institutions, and creditors in asset-based lending matters, including loan workouts, bankruptcy, foreclosure, secured transactions, commercial litigation, loan origination, and associated matters.
He assists creditor clients through drafting and obtaining forbearance agreements and deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, he represents clients in priority dispute and bankruptcy matters, and he helps clients secure and realize assets to satisfy judgments. He also represents equipment finance companies in non-payment matters and replevin actions, and defends clients accused of violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
Mr. Berry’s practice also includes real estate and construction law. His real estate practice is focused on representing clients in real property purchases and sales, real estate financing, lien matters, landlord/tenant and commercial foreclosure. His construction practice includes representing contractors, material suppliers and laborers on all types of claims, ranging from defects, contract breaches, and lien or non-payment matters.
How I Help
In addition to helping creditors take prompt action to protect their interests, I also help clients become more efficient in identifying and dealing with problem accounts. I encourage and assist clients to take early action, when more problem solving techniques remain available. Those solutions may include negotiated workouts that can achieve greater security and corresponding increases in recovery. Conducting regular credit assessments and taking action is not only beneficial to creditors, but early involvement may also help a borrower recognize and reverse a declining financial position.
Career Highlights & Notables
Mr. Berry has been listed since 2011 as a Super Lawyer or Rising Star in the area of Debtor-Creditor relations by Super Lawyer magazine.
He is very active in the Indiana State Bar Association, where he received the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award in 2012, chaired the Young Lawyers Section Council in 2012-2013, and served on the Board of Governors. He is a graduate of the Indianapolis Bar Leader Series VII and of the inaugural Leadership Development Academy of the Indiana State Bar Association.
Mr. Berry was honored by the Indianapolis Business Journal by being named to its “Forty under 40”. Beginning in 2018, Mr. Berry was tasked by the Indy Bar Review to create the materials for and lecture to bar examinees on the new Indiana Bar Exam topic of Debtor-Creditor Law.
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected to the 2022 The Best Lawyers in America®. Recognized in the Commercial Litigation section. [Since 2019]
- Named a Super Lawyer (2017-2021) and a Rising Star (2011, 2015-2016) by Super Lawyer, which recognizes the top 5% of attorneys in the State of Indiana
- 2017 and 2020 Recipient of President’s Award for Service to the Indianapolis Bar Association
- Recognized by Indianapolis Business Journal as a member of the “Forty under 40” list of professionals making an impact on the Indianapolis business community prior to their 40th birthday (2014)
- 2012 Recipient of the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award from the Indiana State Bar Association
- Named a Distinguished Fellow of the Indianapolis Bar Foundation (2011)
- Graduate of the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Bar Leader Series VII, (2009-2010), served on Steering Committee of the BLS (2010-2012)
- Graduate of National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Building Trial Skills intensive training course 
- Graduate of the inaugural Leadership Development Academy of the Indiana State Bar Association 
- Annual State Commercial Law Update; Indianapolis Bar Association (2013- 2021)
- IndyBar Bankruptcy Roundtable (2020)
- Collection Law for Beginners; Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (2018)
- Top Ten Credit Management Tips to Save Money on the Back End; National Association of Credit Managers (2017)
- Protecting Your Payment Rights; National Association of Credit Managers (2017)
- Fair Debt Collection: Tips, Pitfalls, and Strategies; Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (2016)
- BOOT CAMP: Foreclosure and Loan Workout Procedures; National Business Institute (2015)
- Indiana Foreclosures and Workouts; National Business Institute (2015)
- I have a Judgment: Now What? Indianapolis Bar Association, (2009, 2012, 2014); Hancock County Bar Association (2015)
- Unclaimed Property and Escheatment; National Association of Credit Managers (2014)
- Collections: Tips for Going Green; Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum (2013)
- Advanced Issues in Foreclosure: Complicated Priority Disputes and Lien Disputes; National Business Institute (2012)
- Post – Judgment Remedies; Indianapolis Bar Association, (2011)
- Panelist, Bar Associations: Offering Solutions to Student Issues in the workplace, ISBA (2009)
- Collection Law Tips & Strategies; National Business Institute (2008)
- Fee Agreements and Ethics for the Professional Business Advisor; Indiana State Bar Association Annual Meeting (2008)
- Remedies Available to Satisfy a Judgment; lecture to National Association of Credit Managers (NACM)-Petroleum Division (2008)
- Secured Transactions in Practice; lecture to the Business Law Society, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis (2008)
- Assisted Christine Hickey in the preparation of the Indiana Collection Law Update (2005)
- Assisted Sue Figert Meyer in the updating of Collecting Attorney Fees With A Smile; ICLEF (2004), and Lien & Bond Claims against Federal, State, and Local Projects; ICLEF (2005)
Effective legal representation entails advising clients not necessarily on what they want to hear, but what they need to hear.
- J.D., cum laude, Indiana University School of Law, Indianapolis (2005)
- Commendation on Transcript for Providing Pro Bono Publico Service
- Chairperson, Client Counseling Competition
- Judicial Externship Program
- Commendation on Transcript for Providing Pro Bono Publico Service
- B.A. (Political Science), Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Major: Political Science; Minor: History
Lifetime Member of the Golden Key International Honor Society
- Real Estate Career Institute, Indianapolis, IN
Indiana Real Estate Salesperson License (inactive)
- Indiana State Bar
- United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts Indiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Member of the Indianapolis, Indiana State, and American Bar Associations
- Faculty, Indy Bar Review 2018-2021
- 2016 Vice President of the Indianapolis Bar Association
- Served on Steering Committee for Indiana Bar Foundation’s 65th Anniversary Celebration (2015)
- Served on Indiana Supreme Court’s Pro Bono Reporting Task Force (2014)
- Chair (2012-2013), of the Young Lawyers Section Council for the Indiana State Bar Association, Chair-Elect (2011-2012), Secretary / Treasurer (2010-2011), and the former editor of the YLS Network newsletter
- Member of the Sertoma Club of North Downtown Indianapolis, President 2008-2009, Chairman of Board of Directors (2009-2010, 2011-2013)
- Served on the Indiana State Bar Association’s Mentor-Match and Long Range Planning Committees, Chair Long Range Planning (2011-2012)
- Served on the Bar Review Marketing Committee for the Indianapolis Bar Association
- Member of Board of Directors of Anna’s Celebration of Life Foundation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) charity granting life-enhancing gifts to children with special needs.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Indiana State Bar Association Insurance Agency.
- Regular contributor to Ask-a-Lawyer, Legal Lines, and other pro bono initiatives